May 3, 2008

Huber and Rowland-Smith see more action; Moylan throwing again

Justin Huber started in left for the Padres today as they travelled to Florida. He had three at bats, and got some good bat on ball, hitting solid line drives to left center but being caught twice. He then lined out to short. The Padres lost 6-4.

Ryan Rowland-Smith pitched 0.1 innings today, facing 4 batters as they Mariners went down to the Yankees 5-1. He gave up 2 hits, 2 runs, and a walk, and he managed to strike out Hideki Matusi, after an epic at bat. He threw 9 pitches, before finally getting him out swinging on an 89mh fastball.

In Atlanta, there are reports that Peter Moylan may throw a bullpen session this weekend. Despite having a bone spur growing into the ligament in his elbow, Moylan threw some 120-foot long toss today. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that Moylan said "weeks ago I thought there was no chance I'd be able to pick up a ball again without surgery. But then all of a sudden it just sort of loosened up, and my arm is straight again. The only time that I really feel anything is when I extend my arm, and that's not the same sort of pain." I hate to be cynical about it, but you really have to wonder how likely it is that he could come back with such an injury. He is reporting a "tiny pinch" when he extends the arm...and it seems hard to believe that he could pitch over any significant period without further pain - since he has a bone growing through a ligament!!!! He said:"The training staff is sort of saying 'Don't get too excited.' I'm not getting too excited, but from where it was two weeks agoit's opened my eyes and made me feel really good."
More reports on Moylan as they come to hand.

No comments: