Apr 15, 2008

Snelling promoted to Phillies MLB squad

Despite boasting a .193 batting average during spring training, and playing for the very poor-performing Lehigh Valley IronPigs, Chris Snelling has managed to land a spot in the Phillies's squad. A number of factors led to him being called up: an injury to Philadelphia outfielder Shane Victorino, accompanied by a stint on the DL; Snelling's diamond in the rough performance at Lehigh Valley (where he did boast a respectable .412 OBP); and Snelling's previous work with Philly's Senior VP Pat Gillick - whom Snelling knew in Seattle.

Snelling got the call up on Sunday, and was with the Phillies yesterday, as they beat the Cubs 6-5 in extra innings. He pinch hit in the 7th inning, and went deep in the count - getting to a full count before popping up to 3rd base. Meanwhile, since his departure from Lehigh Valley, they have secured their first win of the season, and are now 1-11.

Snelling's comments on his promotion:
"My mentality is, as long as I'm here, I'll do whatever it takes to help out the team...Whatever role that is...It's a numbers game, and I knew coming in [to the season] it probably wasn't going to happen [ie breaking into the MLB squad. It is what it is. I understand that. I'm not bitter about it. I told myself this year that I just wanted to play."

Snelling is expected to back up the corner outfield spots and pinch hit as a lefty from the bench.

No comments: